Northern Kentucky University (NKU) seeks a dynamic academic leader committed to the development and success of undergraduate students to serve as the Founding Dean of the Honors College.
We seek a Dean who will lead the creation and implementation of a unique honors experience, setting a new national model for honors education. The new Dean will join NKU at an exciting moment in its history, as the successful Honors Program becomes the Honors College.
S/he will play an integral role in the academic leadership of the university and its efforts to enhance the undergraduate educational experience.
The successful candidate will serve as the academic leader of the Honors College, guided by best practices in honors education to meet the needs of the Honors College students, faculty and staff. The new Dean will continue the process of transition to the Honors College, including developing the new Honors Council; developing and monitoring completion, in consultation with the Honors Council, of a strategic plan for the Honors College; finalizing curriculum process; revising admission standards; cultivating and strengthening collaborations with departments, faculty, support staff, administration, students, parents, alumni and community members; and developing and carrying out a comprehensive assessment plan (curricular and programmatic).
The Dean will report to the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and partner closely with her as a member of the academic leadership team.
The Honors College Director duties include, but are not limited to:
1. Serving as the academic leader of the Honors College, guided by best practices in honors education to meet the needs of the Honors College students, faculty and staff.
2. Representing the Honors College to all campus and community constituencies. Managing alumni and donor relations, including developing and implementing a fundraising plan for the Honors College.
3. Cultivating and strengthening collaborations with departments, faculty, support staff, administration, students, parents, alumni and community members.
4. Overseeing the process for selecting and retaining Honors College students and overseeing their academic progress. This process should strive to reflect the diversity of the larger University community.
5. Establishing and managing the process for selecting and evaluating core and seminar courses and their instructors, who are designated Honors College Faculty, with the advice of the Honors Council.
6. Developing and carrying out comprehensive assessment plans (both curricular and programmatic).
7. Teaching one Honors course per year.
8. Advising the Honor Student Association.
9. Participating in the Academic Affairs Council and the Deans Council.
10. Supervising Honors College staff and managing Honors College program logistics and processes
The Founding Dean of the Honors College:
Must respond to emerging issues, ideas, best practices, and challenges, and think strategically with the provost and other members of the provost’s leadership team about how best to support the high ability student population the Honors College serves. Will join NKU during a period of great activity and growth, serving as the steward of a broad portfolio. Will collaborate with a range of undergraduate serving faculty, staff, and administrators in planning and implementing programs that enhance the academic life of a student, increase retention and persistence rates, lead to timely graduation, and advance the priorities of the university. Is expected to continue the process of transition to the Honors College, including finalizing curriculum processed, revising admission standards, and developing the new Honors Council.
The organizational structure of the Honors College includes the Founding Dean, an Associate Director, a Coordinator of Advising, and an Administrative Coordinator.
The faculty includes Core faculty, Affiliated faculty, and Associate faculty.
NKU seeks a collegial, experienced and responsive leader who will effectively manage an administrative enterprise.
The Founding dean is expected to champion academic excellence, inspire and collaborate with the faculty, staff, deans and other senior leaders to represent NKU, its academic programs, and educational mission to internal and external constituencies.
NKU will search nationally for candidates with an emphasis on faculty or administrators with proven effectiveness in the academic environment.
A terminal degree and a demonstrated record of achievement that merits appointment as a tenured professor at NKU are required.
The successful candidate will possess most, if not all, of the following qualities or experience:
1. Experience with Honors-related work such as: undergraduate teaching, curriculum development, co-curricular activities, study abroad, etc.
2. Demonstrated commitment to promoting inclusive excellence.
3. At least eight years’ experience teaching at the university level.
4. At least three years’ experience in university administration, as a program director, department chair, assistant/associate dean, dean, or similar position.
5. Additional desired qualifications include: a.Experience in fundraising or working with donors b.Mentoring undergraduates in research or creative activity
Minimum Education: Doctorate
Review of applications will commence on October 1, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. The desired start date is July 1, 2018.
Interested individuals must submit the following:
• Curriculum Vita
• Cover letter addressing qualifications and interest for the position
• List of the names and contact information for at least five references
Nomination letters should include the contact information of the nominee. All nominations and applications will be handled in strict confidence. Letters of nomination should be submitted to Dr. Diana McGill, Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences, at email@example.com.
Northern Kentucky University embraces inclusiveness, equity, and global awareness in all dimensions of our work and seek excellence through diversity among our students, administrators, faculty, and staff. Application by members of diverse groups is encouraged.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action institution.