The Hicks Honors College at the University of North Florida is searching for its inaugural dean. Please post the following advertisement to the jobs listing:
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH FLORIDA
DEAN OF THE HICKS HONORS COLLEGE
A significant gift to the University of North Florida from the Hicks Family Foundation in 2015 provided for the creation of the Hicks Honors College from the previously existing Honors Program, and now the university seeks an experienced visionary leader at the decanal level to develop a world-class Hicks Honors College. The Dean of the Hicks Honors College (position #330610) is a full-time (1.0) appointment and reports directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
The Dean serves as the academic and administrative head of the Hicks Honors College. The Dean will be responsible for the leadership and administration of all aspects of the Hicks Honors College, including managing the budget, developing the curriculum, organizing co-curricular activities, liaising and articulating with academic colleges and departments, working with Residential Life and Undergraduate Admissions on housing and recruitment issues, and collaborating with University Development and Alumni Engagement to enhance funding for the Hicks Honors College. Priorities include curricular development; recruitment with attention to enrollment growth, diversity and international representation; and enhancement of undergraduate research opportunities, achievements and study abroad programs. Required qualifications include an earned doctorate from an accredited college or university in a discipline eligible for tenure within one of the College’s academic departments/schools, a distinguished record of scholarship and teaching commensurate with appointment at the rank of full professor, and a minimum of three years of experience in academic administrative leadership positions and honors education.
The successful candidate will provide evidence of the following in his or her application:
1. Administrative and organizational skills that demonstrate collaboration with academic deans and chairs, other university administrators, faculty and staff, and effective advocacy both inside and outside the university;
2. Experience developing an innovative Honors curriculum that integrates and synergizes with the four-year curriculum of the full range of academic programs and colleges at the university and is accessible to both freshmen and transfer students;
3. An inclusive, participative, collaborative leadership style and the ability to listen, communicate effectively, and innovate while building consensus among colleagues within the Honors College and with the greater campus community;
4. Passion and enthusiasm for Honors education, a demonstrated appreciation for general education and liberal arts, and the ability to effectively communicate these to a wide range of internal and external constituencies;
5. Community engagement and outreach and demonstrated characteristics fundamental to fund raising;
6. Experience developing initiatives fostering recruitment, advising, and retention of a strong and diverse student body.
Additional information about the Hicks Honors College is available at: http://www.unf.edu/hicks/
Review of applications will begin September 15 and all materials should be received by that date for full consideration. The position is open until filled. To apply for this position, a candidate must complete a one-page online application in the UNF Human Resource system (OASys) at www.unfjobs.org, and upload a letter of interest articulating a vision for the college and addressing the qualifications mentioned above, and a curriculum vitae including the names, titles, business contact information, and email addresses of five references. It is anticipated that the successful candidate will start no later than July 1, 2017, although a start date as early as January 2, 2017 is possible.
Questions regarding this search should be directed to: Dr. Daniel Moon, Chair of the Search Committee and Interim Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences, University of North Florida 1 UNF Drive Jacksonville, FL 32224 (904) 620-2560, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Florida’s “Sunshine Law” requires that all search committee business be open to public review. For more information about the University of North Florida, visit our website at www.unf.edu. “UNF is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action institution.”
A link to the job posting can be found here: https://www.unfjobs.org/applicants/jsp/shared/position/JobDetails_css.jsp?postingId=328290