Apr 12, 2011 - 11:56 AM
Submission Guidelines 2013 All students and faculty who have been affiliated with the UAB Honors program at some time are eligible to submit work to be considered for publication in Sanctuary, as well as students and faculty from other Honors Programs that are current members of the Southern Regional Honors Council. This includes current students and alumni, current and former faculty, and any students who have participated in an Honors seminar. Submissions accepted must be original works that have not been previously published.
Submissions must be accompanied by a completed Sanctuary Submission Form. Please follow these guidelines closely.
Submissions are limited to 3 works per category with no more than 5 works total being accepted to Sanctuary!
Poetry: Any style, no longer than 5 pages each, titled.
Essays: No longer than 1,500 words each, titled. Essays submitted are to be original works not based on any source texts. Literary analysis is not accepted.
Short Fiction: No longer than 1,500 words each, titled.
Foreign Language: Original work must be accompanied by a translation, with appropriate acknowledgments to translator (if applicable), titled.
Visual Art: Two- or three-dimensional, in slide or print form or as hard copy from electronic file on CD, titled.
Photography: Color, black and white, in slide or print form or as hard copy from electronic file on CD, titled.
Digital Art: As electronic file on CD and as hard copy, titled.
SUBMISSIONS WILL OPEN: ongoing
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: January 31st, 2013
Email submissions to:
Please send in emails with the subject: [Name] Submission
** This is our preferred method. **
Submissions should be formatted with the completed submissions form as the first page of a Word or RTF document followed by your submissions with the title and your name above each one. Times New Roman 12pt font, left aligned unless absolutely necessary.
Attach the submissions form and all art files individually to an email. Please do not compress. If they are too large, burn them to a cd and mail.
Mail submissions (with submission forms) to:
1530 3rd Ave South
Birmingham, AL 35294-4450
Hand-deliver submissions (with submission forms) to:
Spencer Honors House
1190 10th Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35205
Guidelines for submitting images to Sanctuary:
When submitting digital images to Sanctuary, the following guidelines should be followed for the best quality print in the journal:
1. Image quality should be 300 dpi (minimum) and submitted in CMYK color scheme if possible.
2. If images have been altered in Photoshop/Illustrator/other program, both
the original and the retouched imagine should be submitted.
This is because not all touchups work well in print, even though they look
good on the computer screen. If we have both, we can usually ensure a good reproduction.
3. When scanning or photographing art, use the highest possible dpi, and
scan/shoot/submit files in color unless the original is grayscale.
4. Computer-generated graphics should not contain live type--any type should be converted to art prior to submission. (This eliminates all the font and cross-platform issues).
5. Computer-generated graphics should be saved as .jpg or .tif files. (High resolution tiffs are preferred).
6. Graphics/images imbedded in documents are not acceptable; they must be submitted separately, in their original format.
7. If your file is too large to be emailed (more than 2-3 MB), it should be burned to a CD and mailed. Please do not compress the files.
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:22 PM.